Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How NOT to Share the Gospel

I recently shared the gospel with an unsaved co-worker. I decided it was time for me to get past the easy way out mentality of: "I will just share the gospel by the way I live" (translation: "I don't need to say anything about my faith, I will just hope that this person mysteriously picks up on it in the midst of my not-so-perfect lifestyle"). So in my quest to boldly speak truth in my friends life, I unintentionally spoke heresy. 

We were talking about abortion. I was explaining why I am pro-life, he was explaining why he is pro-choice. 
He said something along the lines of "even if you make it illegal, people will still find a way to do what is bad." 
I said "True. People are inherently 'bad' and will naturally do 'bad' things... thats why everyone needs a Savior!"
Discussion ensued.
"So....what your saying is that non-Christians are all 'bad?'"
"Yep" "Thats what the Bible says"
"So....would you say that you are 'good?'"
"Yep" "This is what the Bible means when is talks about being 'born again.' I am a new creation..."
But before I can finish explaining what I mean by that, he says "You just told me that you are good and I am bad!" (He is pretty mad at this point because he is very moral and definitely considers himself a really "good" person). Just then (no joke) a fully loaded Jehovah's Witness vehicle drives by and my friend waves them down and points to me and walks off. After finishing my morning break with the 4+ Jehovahs Witnesses I go back to work and think through what I just communicated. I basically told my friend that I am good, and am able to make good choices (like pro-life), but that he was bad and could not help but make bad choices. (The good/bad terminology confused morals and natures). 

On my lunch break I started telling Bethany that I was "sharing the gospel" with my friend at work. But then I realize that I had not shared the gospel at all! The "good news" is not that my friend is a sinner (thats part of it)... the good news is that there is a Savior! And he can be saved if if he places his faith in Him! While it is necessary that a person know he or she is in a position of needing salvation, that is only the first part of the message. I went back to work and finished the message to my dear friend. I was also able to clear up the miscommunication of setting myself on a moral pedestal because of my "new nature." I explained that I am still a sinner, and I still make mistakes and poor choices all the time. I am not perfect and I still fall short of the glory of God. But I have hope because "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom 5:8), and God sees that perfect Sacrifice in my stead through my faith in Him. As one of my favorite hymns puts it:

Bearing shame and scoffing rude, In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood; Hallelujah! What a Saviour!
Guilty, vile, and helpless, we: Spotless lamb of God was He:
Full atonement! Can it be? Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

Lesson learned. When verbally sharing the gospel with an unbeliever, don't make them feel like you are superior. You are just as utterly dependent on God's grace as they are. You have done nothing "good" to earn your atonement of sin and relationship with Christ. You are helpless except that when God looks at you as one of His Redeemed, He sees Christ instead of you. Hallelujah! What a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment