Sunday, September 5, 2010

"What can I write equal to the theme of sovereign grace?"

"What can I write equal to the theme of sovereign grace? It is a miracle, a perfect miracle, that God should so love man as to die for him, and to choose him before the foundation of the world." -C.H Spurgeon.

That God chose you "before the foundation of the world" (Eph 1:4a) is baffling.  That God chose you before the foundation of the world to "be holy and blameless before Him" (Eph 1:4b) is even more so baffling. Not only did He in His infinite sovereignty, choose His people; He granted them- who were desperately wicked and totally depraved (Rom 3:9-18)- total reconciliation with Holy God. That is unfathomable!

And can it be?That I should gain an interest in the Saviors blood? Died He for me, who caused His pain? For me, who Him to death pursued? Amazing love! How can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me? What! Did you catch all that? God DIED for you? God DIED for you who pursued Him to death? This is the basis of your salvation- that your God would save you who crucified Him. Amazing love! Unfathomable grace!

What an unparalleled theme is this: God saving sinners and bringing ultimate glory to Himself through each one. This is our passion. This is our message. This is our emphasis. This is our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment